Sunday, August 19, 2012

Maggie Kingsley – a tribute by Caroline Anderson and Kate Hardy


Photo by Alison Roberts -- 2008
 Harlequin Medical Author Maggie Kingsley passed away very unexpectedly last weekend and fellow Medical Romance authors Caroline Anderson and Kate Hardy pay tribute.



We’re still pretty much in shock at the news that Maggie Kingsley passed away unexpectedly last weekend, and our hearts go out to her family.

We’ve known Maggie for more than ten years, as fellow Medical Romance authors, and her warmth, generosity of spirit and sheer common sense will be very much missed. If anyone had a problem, Maggie would be the first person to ring or email with a message of support. Can’t see the wood for the trees? Maggie was the one who’d help you sort it out. Something to celebrate? She’d be there waving the flags for you.

We were privileged to work with her on the Penhally and St Piran’s series, and she was so easy to work with. Her sense of humour always defused the little frustrations that can happen when you work on a continuity book, and she made the whole experience rewarding and fulfilling.

Maggie wrote really emotional stories – her Belfield Infirmary series will remain in a lot of readers’ hearts. She wasn’t afraid of tackling difficult subjects (and only she could’ve pulled off a topic as emotional as ‘A Baby for Eve’). And she wrote the best ‘marriage in jeopardy’ story ever with ‘The Surgeon’s Marriage’.

She was a great person to bounce ideas off; if you’d written yourself into a corner, Maggie would come up with some great suggestions about how to fix it. She also had a wicked sense of humour, and let’s just say there were dares about what we could get past our mutual editor…

And we weren’t the only people who thought so highly of her, judging by the torrent of tributes that have poured into our inboxes since her sister asked us to spread the tragic news of her death.  The overwhelming reaction is one of huge loss, of respect and admiration for a person who never failed to fight your corner or support you privately in a moment of need.  She was the most unassuming, modest, funny, articulate, tactful, passionate and compassionate person you could wish to meet, and the world is a sadder place without her.

Maggie was always there, in sunshine and in showers, and it just doesn’t seem possible that she’s gone. It’d be nice to think she was up there, with a glass of whisky in one hand and ginger chocolate in the other, and her spaniel at her knee, rolling her eyes and saying we were being totally soft Southerners and of course she’ll still be here in spirit.

And we’ll think of her whenever we see bluebells.




20 comments:

  1. I never had the opportunity to read her books but a quick search as left me with a amazing impression her books sounded wonderful. I am so sorry for her family and friends I offer my sincere condolences to you all.

    And it is so very lovely to see her fellow authors paying tribute !

    ReplyDelete
  2. People like Maggie enrich every life they touch. I'm so sorry for the great loss to her family, her friends and her readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss her so much in the Harlequin.com community. She was always so supportive of the writers trying to get published in the Medical Romance line.

    The first time I "met" her was when she commented on one of my reviews of her book Dr. Mathieson's Daughter. Thankfully, I LOVED that book so I didn't have to feel badly that our first encounter was anything but positive.

    She was the reason I wanted to go to Scotland. I mean, the castles and whatever would be nice to see, but mostly I wanted to meet her and her family in person.

    I send all my condolences to her friends and family but most of all to her sister, niece, and nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for this lovely tribute to Maggie. As a fellow Medical Romance author, I am still reeling with the sad news of her sudden passing. I had always hoped to meet Maggie one day as she has been every single thing you mentioned in the blog for me as well. I's sum Maggie Kingsley up as a real quality person, and I am so glad I had the opportunity for my path to cross with hers on this journey.
    I keep saying, I just cannot believe she is gone, and the world has lost a truly inspiring person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie was one of the main reasons I loved and tried to write for Medical Romance - she hit raw nerves with her writing - sometimes I would read a sentence she wrote and feel sure it was aimed at me - that was her gift - she spoke to so many women.
    Rest in peace Maggie cxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Baby for Eve was one of my favourites, maggie captured the characters and situation perfectly. I'm so sorry I won't get to read anymore of her wonderful stories. Rest in peace Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lovely tribute.
    Maggie was so warm and caring, our world won't be the same without her.

    My heart goes out especially to her sister, niece and nephew.

    I'm sure many of her cyber friends will be there with her friends and family on Wednesday to give Maggie the best ever 'goodbye for now'.

    I'll be reading the "Forget-Me-Not" poem a lot.
    Miss you, Maggie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved her A Wife Worth Waiting For, in which the hero, whose first wife died and who is now in love with a heroine who's had Hodgkin's lymphoma, says that "there are no certainties in life." I know there aren't, but it was still a huge shock to learn that Maggie herself had died.

      Delete
    2. I loved A Wife Worth Waiting For, too, Laura. I loved the spunky heroine who rode into town on her motorcycle, short, spiky red hair, shaking up the town, helping the hero realize he was a vital living human, not an old fuddy dud.

      Oh, and the belly dancing lessons! thanks so much for reminding me about this wonderful book.

      I loved the spirit of that book.

      Delete
  8. Thank you Kate and Caroline, this is a perfect tribute to a wonderful lady. Every word is exactly how I thought of her too, we shared a lot, and our fairly recent friendship meant so very much to me. I too am still shocked and saddened. Maggie, I'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maggie was a dear friend and the tribute already paid her echoes my own experiences with her. She is, and always will be, sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cry every time I think about Maggie. Thank you for the wonderful tribute. She was the most amazing stalwart...a friend, a sage, someone who made you laugh.
    RIP, Maggie. You are so desperately missed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cry every time I think about Maggie. Thank you for the wonderful tribute. She was the most amazing stalwart...a friend, a sage, someone who made you laugh.
    RIP, Maggie. You are so desperately missed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The news that Maggie had died was such a shock. Her support and encouragement and plain old common sense made the bumpy times much easier. I'm so very very sad. We'll miss you Maggie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although I didn't know Maggie personally, we've chatted on various loops and she sent me a wonderfully supportive e-mail when I was first starting out. I will miss seeing her around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such sad news and an immense loss. Thank you for this moving tribute

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely tribute to a lovely lady, thank you Kate and Caroline. Maggie had the rare gift of being able to inspire others, and she did so with humour, good sense and generosity of spirit. Thank you for making me believe that I can be better than I am, Maggie. Rest in Peace xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart is breaking for all of Maggie's friends and family. She gave of herself to the folks she met on the Harlequin boards. She doled on encouragement to all of us trying to to write a medical. She loved her niece and nephew so much.

    Caroline and Kate, thanks for writing such a moving tribute.

    Nancy aka sheandeen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Kate and Caroline, for sharing your experiences and memories with Maggie. I only knew her by reputation, but it was a grand one. I am sorry not to have known her, and I envy those of you who did. I'm glad that she's given us wonderful books to keep to remember her by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd like to add my tribute here. As everyone has said, Maggie was such a generous woman and writer, full of knowledge about writing and the writing business and always, always ready to share that. She will be sorely missed by so many.

    ReplyDelete